Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Roosevelt Road


Got on the road home at around 5:30 pm. My first leg of the commute is on Roosevelt from Damen east to Grant Park. Roosevelt Road isn't bad because there is a dedicated bike lane. The traffic gets a little hairy after Halsted but there are plenty of Traffic Control Aides along that stretch to keep motorists honest. Just west of the expressway an Aide is even nice enough to wave me through against the light after all the cross traffic has passed! After a gradual uphill to cross the Chicago River it is like a congested raceway until State Street. I stick to the bike lane and trust the motorists not to flatten me as they drive to the right turn lanes. After Michigan Avenue I have to merge left through heavy traffic to get to the left turn lane at Columbus Drive. The turn will lead me to the safety of the bike path through Grant Park (a Traffic Aide, ignorant of my intentions, dutifully advises me that I can't proceed east to Lakeshore Drive). Once on the Lakefront Trail, I've arrived at the bikers version of the expressway. Got home at about 7:20 pm.

Distance Traveled: 24.7 miles
Distance to Date: 24.7 miles
Price of Gas: $3.39

No comments: