Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Buffeted

The flags flying outside my office were slapping all over the place when I headed out this evening. So I knew it was going to be a windy and interesting ride. It was also dry and cold. My hands weren't bothered too much by the cold though. Maybe it was a little warmer out.

The Lakeshore Path was pretty desolate. The wind was whipping all over the place. Sometimes I'd have a tailwind and other times I was headed into a gale. Just north of Diversey I sensed someone on my tail. Behind me was a roadie in a 2CC jersey was in my slipstream. I waved to let him know I didn't have a problem with him being there. Then with the knowldege that I was being followed, I pedaled with a renewed vigor. I was chugging along at a nice pace wishing he'd pass me so I could leach off him for a while. It seemed forever until he took over at Cornelia. Despite his cutting the wind, I just couldn't keep up with his pace. As we came up to the bend at Grace, I shouted good bye. I think he didn't understand me because instead of waving me off or something he slowed. So we chatted a bit. He said (most likely in an effort to soothe my ego) he had been really working to catch up to me since Michigan Avenue. I managed to shoehorn the fact that my ride is over 24 miles so maybe he wouldn't think I was a complete wuss. We jawed as much as people can at 15 mph until he turned off at Lawrence.

Upon leaving the Lakefront Trail, I decided to take Broadway north instead of Kenmore. After seeing the guy I pissed off a few nights ago breezing by me while I waited at the light at Granville, I figured he might be on to something. Despite Kenmore and Winthrop having dedicated bike lanes, they aren't the best streets to bike if you want to get someplace in a hurry. They both have speed bumps, lots of double parked cars, and dicey intersections. Broadway ended up being a terrific alternative because it is smooth, wide and not very busy. Making the left turn to Granville is the only tricky part though.

By the time I got to the Green Bay Trail, I was ready to be done. The wind, the cold, and my creeping hunger were turning the ride into drudgery. I was only making about 12 mph due to the stiff northerly winds. By 7:00 pm I was home.

Distance Traveled: 24.3 miles
Distance to date: 1584.0 miles
Price of gas: $2.46

No comments: