Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Damn Was It Cold!

High teens but only slight winds this morning. The sun hadn't risen yet, so it was dark. I wore an extra pair of glove liners so my hands did pretty good today. I could have also worn a baklava if I had one. But after a while my face became numb so it didn't bother me anymore.

I still haven't fixed a slow leak in my tire. Fortunately I can ride an hour and a half on it without a problem. The tube has a couple of patches in it but I think one didn't completely take. Some bike store owner once claimed he threw out a tube if it was punctured and patches should only be considered temporary. What an ass.

At Chicago and Main I was nearly hit by a car exiting a parking lot crossing the street into my lane. I shouted as he came at me but there was no reaction. I managed to squeeze between his car and the curb and avoided getting hit. I gave his rear quarter panel a loud but harmless backhand smash just to let him know I was not pleased. He was making a right turn and as I passed him I still don't know if he knew what was going on. Oh well.

I'm happy with my minor route change by taking Broadway south from Granville instead of Winthrop. An added bonus is a mailbox at the corner of Broadway and Ardmore with a 7:00 am pickup for my nearly late bills.

There were quite a few bicyclists on the Lakefront Trail this morning considering it was probably in the low to mid 20s. At Irving Park I decided to ring my bell as a greeting to every biker I encountered. Eventually my little expression of biking solidarity/camaraderie was greeted with apathy and occasional irritation. Worse ye, the tinny ping was even annoying me. So by the time I arrived at Monroe I decided to suspend the campaign.

The winds continued to be lighter than usual so I pedaled at a constant of 16-18 mph.

Distance Traveled: 24.3 miles
Distance to date: 1608.3 miles
Price of gas: $2.46

No comments: