Wednesday, January 31, 2007

No Frost Bite

It was in the high teens when I headed out today. The pad of my left ring finger was still a bit numb from my last ride so I bought a pair of Thinsulate mittens at a Menards on my drive to work. They should do a decent job protecting my hands. After the intense cold I faced on Monday, I expected it to be nearly as cold. So I doubled up on the long underwear again and ended up being over dressed for most of the ride. My new mittens took a little getting use to. At first I put them over my gloves but that was really unworkable. I ended up wearing just the mitten on the left hand and my usual glove combination on the right.

The ride was pretty routine. A nice tailwind gave me a boost and except for being a little warm, it was a comfortable ride. The Lakefront Trail was mostly deserted. I chanced the Oak Street curve again and found it was still icy but easy to walk on. The slippery slope south of Fullerton was heavily salted and clear. Once off the trail, I managed to get a lot of green lights and maintained my momentum. I found this ride was very pleasurable compared to the arduous trek I had a few days ago.

I was actually glad I was dressed so warm once I headed into the wind on Isabella in Evanston. I think the temperature dropped a bit from when I started and I really felt the windchill. The Wilmette portion of the Green Bay was never plowed and it made for some exciting turns. But generally life was good.

Distance Traveled: 24.3 miles
Distance to date: 1824.0 miles
Price of gas: $2.28

2 comments:

leomemorial said...

Have you tried the Lands End gloves?

I recnetly bought a pair marked down to $20 @ Sears. They rock. Plus they have zipper and pocket on each glove, and wind/wet resistant.

Steve said...

I might take a look. My Menards specials are nice and warm but the insides take way too long to dry.