Thursday, September 21, 2006

Draft Rejected!

Got a 6:00 am start. Again I used my helmet mounted Phantom Jet Lite to illuminate the first part of my ride this morning. It was a clear morning so I could have just done without it though. It was a very pleasant and cool morning but ten miles into my ride my legs felt a little weak. At first I thought I was biking into a head wind but the nearby flags told me otherwise. Then I thought maybe a tire was low but that wasn't the case either. Then I realized my previous ride's racing was the culprit.

At Oak Street Beach I was passed by a racing bike rider and a road bike mounted commuter. The racer I let go by. But I went after the commuter. I was drafting pretty well and at Delaware I made sure to make my presence known by asking if he minded my drafting. I guess I startled him (he had earphones on) and he swerved off. I repeated myself but he demurred saying it was too dangerous and he peddled off. At first I thought, "Geez! What priss." In retrospect I realize I was doing the biking equivalent of panhandling. Why should he let some total stranger not only leech his air and but also potentially put him at risk? But my ego was also a bit bruised because he was faster than me. He turned off at Randolph so he wouldn't have been much help anyway. So I also consoled myself in the thought that he hadn't been riding as far as I had at the time too. I can be such a child.

Distance Traveled: 24.3 miles
Distance to date: 595.8 miles
Price of gas: $2.84

No comments: