Friday, September 15, 2006

Finally Riding on Properly Inflated Tires

After suffering three pinch flats in two days and consultation with Howard at the Compleat Cyclist in Dolton, Illinois, I realized my tires weren't properly inflated. I purchased a tire pressure gauge and sure enough, I was riding my 2002 Cannondale T2000 touring bike at 40 psi when I should be at 90-120 psi. Before my ride home from work the following day I only inflated my tires to 75-80 psi though. That is a lot of pumping with my compact bike pump and my ride is rough enough already. But I did notice a difference. My bones got a bit more rattled on every sidewalk and roadway seam but I seemed to get more power in my pedaling. Well duh!

The weather this afternoon was great. Sunny and high 70s and just a little wind. At Roosevelt Road and South Clinton, I was nearly creamed by an oncoming car turning left. I blame myself despite having the right of way though. I was going down the bike lane at a nice clip passing to the right of a UPS truck stopped at the corner. To the turning driver I'm sure I came out of nowhere. Fortunately for me he hit the brakes in time. Something to remember.

I chatted with a couple on a Co-Motion tandem between Ohio and Oak Street Beach. I was really envious. When my boys are older, my wife and I would like to purchase a road tandem so we can bike together. Not that we can't bike together now, but I like to go faster than she does. Then I passed a leisurely big guy on a road bike near North Street Beach. Like myself, he probably being passed personally. About a half mile later he passed me and I nearly killed myself trying to keep up and draft. I made a nice meal of his dust.

My pedals began to squeak in Evanston from the previous day's wet weather riding. It got too annoying so I pulled over on Isabella to lube them up a bit. I stopped pedaling to see how far I could coast. I went about three blocks.

Distance Traveled: 24.3 miles
Distance to date: 491.9 miles
Price of gas: $2.99

No comments: