Wednesday, October 18, 2006

One Thousand Miles

In the vicinity of Halsted, I logged my 1000th mile since I started keeping track on August 8, 2006. Not bad if I say so myself. The ride was a bit hot this morning. It looked cooler outside than it actually was and I overdressed again.

I need to illuminate myself more than I have right now. I currently have a red flasher on my seat post and a small white flasher on my handle bars (I think they are both made by Planet Bike). I was making a left turn on to Granville from Clark this morning and I wasn't exactly confident the vehicles behind me could see my hand signals. So on my drive home today I stopped at Turin and bought a small red LED to put on my helmet and some reflective patches I'll affix to my bike gloves and anywhere else on my bike that I think will do any good. I'm tempted to buy a Safe Turn Indicator to put on my glove but they are $26 and are shipped from Australia.

While bicycling by Belmont Harbor on the Lakefront Trail, I sensed someone behind me. A quarter mile later I took a swig from my water bottle and he passed me. He was a commuter on a road bike and he thanked me for the lift. It must have been his way of offering to let me draft for a while. I must be getting faster now because it isn't often people draft off my dragging ass. So I glommed off his slipstream and except for sporadic puddle spray, I enjoyed the ride.

When we reached the windy straight away from Oak Street to Ohio, I offered to take over again. Once in front I poured it on. In the past, whenever I traded off drafting, I'd quickly tire as soon as I had to cut throught the wind and the other guy would take over again; kind of humbling. So I wanted to make sure I pulled my weight. In this case I guess I left him behind. As soon as I slowed going up the ramp at Ohio Street Beach I noticed he wasn't around anymore. Or maybe he passed so fast I never even noticed. Oh well.

Distance Traveled: 24.3 miles
Distance to date: 1001.9 miles
Price of gas: $2.49

No comments: