Monday, March 19, 2007

Free Cellphone!

Beautiful afternoon for biking. My left wrist still aches and I’ve concluded it’ll probably be a problem for a while. So I might as well learn to live with it. Steady winds from the west both hindered and helped my progress. The Lakefront Trail was moderately populated.

Just past Navy Pier I started to tail a roadie wearing a backpack. He had a much quicker pace but since I could still see him I made an effort to keep up. Near Fullerton my knees were really burning though. Most of the time it is my thighs that give out on me. So I backed off and decided to just enjoy the ride. As I passed a few bicyclists I said hi but again got nothing in return. Oh well.

I’ve been pretty generous with the White Lightning chain lubricant and it has paid off. My drive train is pretty quiet and the chain doesn’t jump from cog to cog anymore. I still need to adjust my derailleur but it is livable.

I really like riding in daylight again. I enjoy the ride and I’ve shaved about 10 minutes off my commute.

On Clark Street just north of Devon I passed a cell phone lying in the street. At first I figured it was a busted piece of junk but I stopped and turned around to make sure. Once I picked it up I realized someone accidentally dropped it there. Since it wasn’t a model I was familiar with I couldn’t figure out how to operate it in hopes of determining its owner. Then it powered off and I couldn’t turn it back on. So I threw it in my bag with the intent of taking another look at it when I got home.

On the Green Bay Trail at the border of Winnetka and Kenilworth I passed a couple on their bikes. Unlike the others they responded enthusiastically to my greeting. Joy of joys.

Distance Traveled: 24.3 miles
Distance to date: 2188.6 miles
Price of gas: $2.64

No comments: