Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Evening Ride Home

It was a little warmer than I expected once I got outside today. I was dressed for temps in the 40s but I think it was in the low 50s. So I was a bit toasty once I was on the road tonight. My ride had the usual mix of cars, cabs, and buses. I have gotten pretty use to the tendencies of drivers and the patterns of the traffic signals along my route. Some of the traffic aides have come to recognize me and wave me against the light when there aren't any cars around.

I was really moving tonight at an average of about 19 mph. Either I had a stiff tailwind or someone doped my blood in my sleep. Most times I feel like I'm plodding along and fighting the wind but tonight I was blazing down the empty path.

I solved my gearing problem. I don't change gears. But I know I should get them fixed so I don't blow out my knees. I usually only downshift at lights and a few uphills on Roosevelt Road on my way to work (I don't need to downshift on the hills on my way home because I'm probably not tired yet). I probably need new cables. I hope it isn't my rear derailleur. I'd hate to pay for a new one.

Distance Traveled: 24.3 miles
Distance to date: 1289.4 miles
Price of gas: $2.41 (Holding steady)

No comments: