Monday, November 06, 2006

Rain? No Problem!

I brought my bike out of the garage this morning and was surprised by the rain. It was in the high 40s but the local news said nothing about precipitation. So I rolled my bike back inside and got busy waterproofing. I packed all my stuff in plastic bags. Then I removed my Neoprene booties and wrapped my bike shoes in plastic bags too. In the past the booties let in the wet after 30-40 minutes. So I wasn't about to pedal half of my trip in wet feet. Since it had gotten warmer I only wore a long underwear top and no bike jersey.

As soon as I mounted up, I slipped on the wet pavement of my driveway. Not a good or comforting start. But once I got going my ride was fine. My longsleeves kept me from getting all wet and clammy from the Goretex top and my feet stayed comfortable for the whole trip. I was also glad I installed the fenders. It was nice to see the water dripping onto the pavement behind my front wheel instead of splashing up on my feet. I was going to have a crazy week at work so I probably wouldn't be biking back home until Thursday.

Distance Traveled: 24.3 miles
Distance to date: 1216.5 miles
Price of gas: $2.41

No comments: