Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Makin' Still More Friends

I must be one happening guy...I wish. At a red light at Sheriden and Ardmore I struck up a conversation with Ray, a semi-frequent commuter like myself. He bikes downtown about as much as I do. As we bicycled south down the Lakefront Path we faced a steady headwind. Ray unselfishly offered to pull me along for a while. We both took the front position on and off all the way to the Lake Shore Drive underpass at Chicago Avenue where Ray turned off. The combined effort definitely got me to work a touch faster. I found I wasn't as thirsty during the trip either.

An oncoming Heating and AC truck cut across my path while turning onto Jefferson from Roosevelt. I screamed at him to no avail and swerved to avoid running into him. He pulled over right at the corner and was wide eyed after I flipped him off. For some reason he was looking into his side view mirror as he turned and probably didn't notice me. In retrospect it was probably an innocent albeit negligent mistake and he was probably mystified by my obscene gesture.

I find the vast majority of drivers are courteous and want to avoid the hassle of scraping me out of their spokes and front grilles. I also make a point of giving a friendly wave to drivers that wait for me at a crossing intersection rather than gunning it through. Sort of my way of saying, "Thanks for not killing me."

Distance Traveled: 24.3 miles
Distance to date: 1313.7 miles
Price of gas: $2.41

No comments: