Saturday, November 25, 2006

Took Off The Training Wheels

It was in the high 50s so my family biked to Village Green Park in Winnetka. I had a few surprises in store for my 4 year old son Joseph. The first was an Incredibell handle bar bell that I bought that morning at a sale at Performance. Joey loves to flick the bell on my bike and I figured he'd love one of his own. The second surprise was taking the training wheels off his $15 Huffy once we got to the park.

I let Joey discover the bell as he hauled his bike out of the garage. He is such a good kid; he never whines about wanting a zillion toys and he loves doing his school work. One would have thought I bought him a BMW with how much appreciation he showed for the $8 accessory.

Once we got to the park Joseph was a relatively quick study on two wheel riding. He initially had trouble getting started but he eventually figured out the pedal positioning to get him going. We biked on the grass so he avoided hurting himself after the scores of spills. Ultimately he handled himself well while underway but his stopping still needs work. After about an hour of this the training wheels were bolted back on and we bicycled back home.

Distance Traveled: 2.8 miles
Distance to date: 1340.8 miles
Price of gas: $2.41

No comments: